I will be parked here for awhile to work out a few bugs in what I have and how I am doing things. Not going anywhere until the first Social Security check and the Utah State pension arrive. Meanwhile….

Monday I was facing several problems that needed immediate attention. Most importantly my right calf had become sore and swollen Thursday. Suspecting I might have an embolism, medical attention was a top priority. I have only been in Elko for a week. My Medicare kicked in just 2 weeks ago. I have been living with a very good health plan at the University and enjoying the wide range of hospitals and clinics available there. The choices here in Elko are very limited and I know nothing about them. From Google I picked a private urgent care clinic and arrived when the doors opened. I had about a half hour wait. The intake by the medical assistant showed that my blood pressure was within a very normal range. Retirement must be agreeing with me. The PA made some observations and asked a lot of questions. He suspected an embolism himself, or DVT, but needed an ultrasound to make a proper diagnosis. Unfortunately their imaging was booked up all day. He called two other centers and found a possibility at one across town. He was really concerned that this be done today and not wait another day.  so I checked in over there and made an appointment for the middle of the afternoon. I ran a few errands while I was in town, then returned to the trailer park, fixed me something to eat, did a few chores, and headed back to Elko. The procedure went well. The tech was able to talk to the radiologist on the phone. She relayed his information to me. There was no blood clot. Well, that was encouraging. They were supposed to forward these results back to the urgent care clinic who would then call me for a follow-up. I hung around town for awhile, and then just dropped by the clinic to see if the PA was available or set up an appointment for the next day. He was able to consult with me. He wasn’t sure what was going on in my leg himself. He said it might be an effect of long-distance driving, of the fact that I had changed the height of my seat at my work table. He was treating it like phlebitis and gave me some instructions. At the pharmacy I picked some ibuprofen, a box of heat compresses, and a pair of white anti-embolism stockings. Two days later the treatment seems to be working. All in all this was a very positive experience. Everyone that I interacted with was very pleasant. Despite the circumstances, it was a positive way to get introduced to Elko.  I am curious to see how much this is all going to cost me. I think Medicare covers about 50%. What to do? I haven’t established residency in Nevada yet so I can’t sign up for supplemental coverage. And this was absolutely something that needed to be taken care of.

Two weeks into retirement I need medical attention. It’s all good.